Thank you for your interest in Lady Shri Ram College For Women. Every year a large number of students apply to the College and we hope to make the admission process smooth and hassle- free. Please read this section carefully to get acquainted with the admission requirements and procedure. Students who wish to study at Lady Shri Ram College can opt for any of the following courses – Commerce,Economics, English, Hindi, History, Journalism and Mass Communication, Mathematics, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sanskrit, Sociology and Statistics. In addition, LSR offers a Bachelors in Elementary Education and a Post Graduate Diploma in Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding. The medium of instruction for all courses normally is English, except for Hindi Honours and Sanskrit Honours courses where the medium of instruction is Hindi.
A Pre-Admission Counseling unit will be set up in the College from the 2nd of June, 2014 till the 13th of June, 2014 to answer queries and explain the guidelines and criteria for admission. Students are advised to visit the unit between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. on the above mentioned dates, between Monday and Friday. This interaction will help them understand the process and facilitate their admission
|Requirements For Admission To LSR|
|Procedure for Application|
|It is mandatory for all students to apply for admission on the University of Delhi admission form (either online at www.du.ac.in or offline at designated colleges. For further details, please check the University of Delhi website). No student can be considered for admission if she has not filled the University admission form. Candidates are allowed to fill only one common pre-admission form, either online or offline.
In addition, all students who would like to be considered for admission to LSR, are advised to meet the Pre-Admission Counseling unit, set up in the College either personally or through a representative. This will help the student make her choices and facilitate the admission process.
The Pre-Admission Counseling unit will function between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., Monday to Friday,between June 02, 2014 and June 13, 2014.
|Calculating Eligibility For Admission|
Additional College Guidelines For Evaluation Of Merit For Purposes Of Admission To Lady Shri Ram College – 2014-2015
Three year B.A. / B.Sc Honours Courses
|Procedure For Admission|
Original documents will be retained by the College.
Note: In case a candidate is found to have submitted fake certificates, her admission will stand cancelled and the fees will not be refunded
|Centralised admission entrance test for B.EL.ED.|
|Admission to the Bachelor of Elementary Education Programme is through an Entrance Examination to be conducted on 22nd June, 2014 by the CENTRAL INSTITUTE OF EDUCATION (CIE), at the Main Campus of the University of Delhi. Forms will be available online from 27th May, 2014 at www.cie.du.ac.in
To find out the details, please refer to the Information Booklet available at CIE and to the University of Delhi website: www.du.ac.in
|Admission To M.A./ M. COM.|
|Admission to the M.A./M.Com. Course is done through the respective Faculty of Arts/ Commerce, University of Delhi. The College offers the following subjects at the Post-Graduation level: English, Hindi, Mathematics, Statistics, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sanskrit, History and Commerce. Students seeking admission to such courses are first required to register themselves with the Faculty of Arts/ Commerce. The College will receive applications only from those students who have registered themselves and obtained an admission slip from the respective Faculties. Further information may be obtained either from the office of the University Department concerned or the respective Faculty of Arts/ Commerce of the University.|
|Other Important Requirements/Guidelines|
On admission, every student of the College is required to sign a declaration that she submits herself to the disciplinary jurisdiction of the Vice-Chancellor and the personnel of the University and the College who may be vested with the authority to exercise discipline under the Acts, Statutes, Ordinances and Rules of the University/College. Each student will be given a handbook containing the rules and regulations of the College. In addition, students will sign an affidavit declaring that if a student is found indulging in ragging she will face disciplinary action according to the University Ordinance.
The Orientation is an invaluable introduction that provides an insight into the functioning of the College before the commencement of classes. It is designed to make entrants feel more at home in their new environment. Attendance at the Orientation is compulsory. Those admitted to the College must check the date for Orientation on the day of admission.
Admission to any Semester/Year Other Than The First
|LSR welcomes students with special needs and within logistical constraints, tries to provide every help to facilitate their years in College. 22.5% of the total seats are reserved for candidates belonging to the SC/ST category, 27% are reserved for candidates belonging to the OBC category and 3% seats are reserved for Persons with Disability (PwD). The College also offers a number of scholarships and freeships, on the basis of merit and need, to admitted students of the disadvantaged categories.
SC/ST/OBC/PWD Category Students
SC/ST/OBC/PwD Category students should also check the details for their registration either on the University of Delhi website or contact the office of the Dean, Students’ Welfare (Main Campus) University of Delhi.
In addition, all SC/ST/OBC/PwD category students who would like to be considered for admission to LSR, are advised to meet the Pre-Admission Counseling unit, set up in the College, either personally or through a representative. This will help the student make her choices and facilitate the admission process. The Pre-Admission Counseling unit will function between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, between June 02, 2014 and June 13, 2014.
Eligibility Criteria For SC/ST/OBC/PWD Category Students
• Students applying under these categories must possess valid SC/ST/OBC/PwD category certificates.
|Procedure For Admission For SC/ST/OBC/PWD Category Students|
|• LSR will convey the ‘cut off’ marks for the various courses offered by the College to the University and display it on the notice board of the College, as per the University Schedule.
• The list of students eligible under each category, according to the ‘cut off’, will be displayed in the College.
• If the candidate’s name appears on the list and her marks fall within the ‘cut off’, she should check the date and time allotted for her counselling with the admission-in-charge of that particular category.8 Lady Shri Ram College for Women
• Those seeking admission will have to be personally present to gain admission.
• No student is allowed to take admission in 2 courses/colleges simultaneously. In case, she is found to be admitted in two courses/colleges simultaneously, her admission will be cancelled.
• For subjects like B.El.Ed. where centralised tests are being held, please check the University of Delhi website.
• All admissions will be provisional and subject to confirmation by the University of Delhi.
|On admission, candidates are required to submit all original certificates on the same day and pay the fees in cash. The candidates must submit the following original documents along with one attested photocopy of each at the time of taking admission:
• Date of Birth certificate or Secondary School or equivalent Examination Certificate clearly stating the date of Birth.
• Original Mark-sheet issued by the Board / University.
• Certificate from the Head of Institution last attended.
• A passport size photograph should be pasted on the College Enrolment Form and another submitted to the office on the day of the Counseling after the admission is finalized.
• SC/ST/OBC/PwD certificates wherever applicable.
• Students who have not studied Hindi upto Class 10 are required to produce their Class 8 marksheet as evidence of having / not having studied Hindi upto Class 8.
Original documents will be retained by the College. In case a candidate withdraws the original certificates, her admission will stand cancelled. In case a candidate requires the original certificates for a few days for any reason, she should meet the Convenor of Admissions with a written request and take permission for the same.
Note: In case a candidate is found to have submitted fake certificates, the admission will stand cancelled and the fees will not be refunded.
|Admission Under Reserved Categories Of Jammu & Kashmir Migrants/Specific Armed Forces Reservation|
|Please refer to the University of Delhi for all information pertaining to these categories including eligibility. Admission under these categories is centralized and will be conducted at the University level by the Office of Deputy Registrar, Academic.
However those students under these categories who wish to be considered for any other category (General/OBC/SC/ST/PwD) must register separately online/offline.
|Gap Year Cases|
|Students who have had a gap in their education must bring all original documents such as admission slips, admit cards for any examination taken or certificates of courses attended in the gap period to be eligible for admission to the undergraduate course for which they qualify. Such students should meet the Convenor of Admissions.|
|LSR welcomes students from all over the world and provides them an enriching context to pursue higher studies. There are two categories of overseas students:
Foreign Board (Foreign/Indian Nationals)
To Gain Admission:
Admission formalities for this category will be completed only after admissions in the General category.
Indian Board (Foreign Nationality)
|Sports and Extra-Curricular Activities (ECA) Categories|
|Candidates applying under the Sports/ECA category must fill the Sports/ECA forms in addition to the general forms. These applications will be scrutinized and a list of students short-listed for trials will be put up on the College Notice Board.
There are very few seats available under these categories and only those with outstanding achievement should apply. Academic performance will carry a definite weightage in the selection process.
Admissions will be at the sole discretion of College and no queries regarding the same will be entertained after the list for trials has been put up. Students selected on the basis of Sports/ECA, are obliged to participate in these activities consistently.
A committee constituted by the College will decide admission on the basis of sports. The Committee will hold interviews and trials as per the Evaluation Chart of the University of Delhi. The level of competence in the sport will be determined on the basis of distinction achieved only within the last three years. Please refer to the appended leaflet/website for the trial dates and any further details.
Candidates must attach copies of the following with the form:
ii. Certificate of the last qualifying examination passed.
iii. Marksheet on the basis of which admission is sought.
iv. Date of Birth certificate or Secondary School or equivalent Examination Certificate clearly stating the Date of Birth.
v. Documents in support of achievement in the sport on the basis of which admission is sought. COPIES OF ALL SUCH DOCUMENTS AND A PHOTOGRAPH OF THE SPORTSPERSON SHOULD BE ATTESTED BY THE ISSUING AUTHORITY OR BY THE PRINCIPAL OF THE INSTITUTION LAST ATTENDED.
vi. A Certificate of physical fitness signed by a registered medical practitioner.
vii.Details of any scholarships the applicant has availed of in the past three years.
For further details, see the Sports form.
Extra Curricular Activity (ECA) Category
A committee constituted by the College will decide admission on the basis of ECA. Admission under ECA category is usually after the general admissions are over. Candidates are therefore advised not to rely on their qualifying in the trials and to secure admission wherever they can.
Candidates must attach copies of the following with the ECA form:
1. A letter of recommendation from the Principal/ officiating authority of the school last attended clearly giving details of activities participated in. The Principal should also express his/her opinion about the extent to which the candidate might be able to contribute to the cultural life of the College. While such a letter is not mandatory, it is desirable and will add weight to the application.
2. Documents in support of achievement in ECA on the basis of which admission is sought. The College is especially interested in the candidate’s participation in school activities during the last three years.
3. Statement of Purpose written by the student stating how she will contribute to the life of the College and why she has applied to LSR.
4. Portfolios are necessary for those applying under the category of Fine Arts/Painting/Sculpture/Photography and desirable for all other categories.
5. A list of Extra Curricular Activities mentioning level of participation and prizes won in the last three years.
6. Those applying in the category of Performing Arts are required to submit a recording of their performances on a CD.
7. Character certificate from the institution last attended.
8. Mark-sheet on the basis of which admission is sought.
9. Date of Birth certificate or School examination certificate clearly stating the Date of Birth.
|Courses Of Study|
|Lady Shri College offers a wide range of subjects and courses. The Honours programme includes:
» B.A. Honours in Economics, English, Hindi, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sanskrit and Sociology.
Professional Courses in Elementary Education and Journalism and Mass Communication as well as a Post Graduate Diploma Course in Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding are available in the College.
|Medium of Instruction|
|The medium of instruction in all courses is English, except for Sanskrit Honours and Hindi Honours, where the medium of instruction is Hindi.|
|Admission procedure for B.EL.ED. Course|
|Bachelor of Elementary Education
B. El. Ed. is a four-year professional elementary teacher-education programme. Students are required to do 9 Foundation Courses, 4 Core Courses, 3 Pedagogy Courses, 2 Liberal Options and 1 Pedagogy Option. Each student must attend not less than 75% each of the lectures delivered and practicum held. The internal assessment carries 30% weightage for Theory Courses. In the case of practicum, assessment is totally internal and is done on a continuous basis. Admission for this course is through an entrance test conducted by the University of Delhi. Please refer to the University Bulletin and information booklet available at the Central Institute of Education, University of Delhi or check www.cie.du.ac.in for details.
|Conflict Transformation And Peacebuilding (Diploma Programme)|
|Innovation and Inclusivity
The one year Diploma in Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding is an integrated programme combining classroom learning, fieldwork and action research. Offered to undergraduate and graduate students, NGO workers, media persons and grassroots’ workers, the course seeks to equip potential peacebuilders with the knowledge, skills and expertise to engage in processes of Peacebuilding.
It provides a context for students to build mentoring relationships with renowned practitioners and scholars in the field. Drawing on related developments in the disciplines of peace and conflict studies, sociology, psychology, international relations, development, media studies and economics, the course uses an interdisciplinary approach to explore the causes of, and responses to, conflicts at various levels, including the intra-personal, interpersonal, inter-group, national and international.
The Diploma Programme requires students to:
|Short Term Courses|
|LSR also offers a few short-term courses from among the following:
• Spanish, Art Appreciation, Mathematics for Managers, Women and Politics, Modeling using Spreadsheets, Film Appreciation, Publishing and Entrepreneurship etc.
|Residence Hall Guidelines|
|There are very limited seats available in the Residence Hall. All applicants are therefore well advised to make alternate arrangements.
• The Residence Hall Admission Procedures will begin only after the First List Admission is over. This is likely to be towards the end of June, 2014.
During the interaction with the Admission in-charge of the Department, candidates must mention that they would like accomodation in the Residence Hall. The Admission in-charge of every Department, on the basis of information provided during the interaction, will recommend the names of applicants who want residence. This will be done generally on the basis of merit.
|A number of Scholarships – including the prestigious Morada Scholarship, the Medeleine Ihsanullah Scholarships, the Bindu Agarwal and Saroj Gupta Scholarships, the Tejaswi Rao Scholarship, the Neha Puri Scholarship, the KPMG Scholarships, the G.L. Bansal Scholarship, the Omkar Nath Pandit Scholarship, the Har Dayal Singh Walia Scholarship, the ELSA Scholarship and the Anupma Dua Scholarship among others are also awarded to students for consistent outstanding performance in various fields.|
|Frequently Asked Questions|
|A set of frequently asked questions has been placed on the FAQs page which may be accessed from the Home page. We advise that you access and read this page to supplement the information contained on this page.|
|The following prizes are awarded annually for outstanding performance in various fields.
• Shri Ram Prize for the Best All Round Student , • Lady Shri Ram Prize for Academic Excellence , • Dr. Bharat Ram Prize for Leadership and Teambuilding , • Smt. Manju Bharat Ram Prize for Aesthetic Engagement and Cultural Sensitivity , • Shri Dolatrai M. Desai Prize for Leadership , • Dr. S. M. Luthra Prize for Contribution to the Voluntary Agency Placement Programme , • Faculty Prize , • U.J. Rana Prize for Student Endeavour , • Shri N. K. Mehta Prize for Meritorious Contribution to College , • Amba Dalmia Prize for Creative Endeavour and Commitment to College , • Pragya Pratibha Prize for the Best Student in the B.A. Programme , • Smt. Tehmina Nariman Nusserwanji Prize for General Knowledge , • Shri S. J. Davar Prize for English Dramatics , • Anubha Dhar Prize for Creative Writing in English , • Shri Bharat Bhushan Agarwal Srijnatmak Lekhan Puraskar , • Chirashree Chakraborty Prize for Creative Writing in Indian languages , • Shri Premvallabh Joshi Prize for Indian Music , • Kalanidhi Prize for Art and Décor , • Prakriti Shree Prize for Environment Consciousness , • Lok Kalyan Puraskar for the Best NSS Organiser , • Lok Mangal Puraskar for the Best NSS Vounteer , • Prize for Contribution to National Cadet Corps , • Komal Pahuja Prize for Excellence and Leadership in Sports , • Prize for Regularity and Consistency in Academic Work , • Shaili Rani Mathur Prize for Best Student admitted to M.A. Previous in Sanskrit , • Prize for the Best Article in English in the College Magazine , • Prize for the Best Article in Hindi in the College Magazine , • Prize for Outstanding/Meritorious Contribution to Dramatics, , • Public Speaking, Western Music, Dance and Choreography , • One Prize each to students in each discipline who obtain a first division and top the list of candidates in the University/College in the final University Examinations.